Stories Of The Kruger | Preparing For A Kruger Park Trip
What To Pack On Your Safari?
When you start preparing for a Kruger Park trip, quite a lot can go through your mind. We thought this article might help you prepare for your next trip to the Kruger National Park, we will discuss what you need to take with you, and what you need.
It is always exciting when you have a trip to the Greater Kruger National Park in the pipeline. For us, nothing is better, and many people literally count the minutes until their trip. As a result of this, you want to make your trip comfortable and as easy as possible.
Preparing For Your Safari In The Kruger National Park
Malaria & Malaria Precautions In The Kruger
Depending on what time of year you go will determine what you need to take with you. The most common question is, “Do I need to take Malaria tablets?”
With regards to malaria medication, it is best to consult a Doctor or your General Practitioner. Unfortunately we cannot give you advice, as this is completely dependent on you. It is always good to take Malaria precautions, so getting a script from your GP would be advisable. If you are camping, especially in the central and northern parts of the Kruger, I would strongly suggest taking Malaria medication.
Necessities For Your Kruger Park Visit
There are a few items that just HAVE to be taken… These are smaller things that can make your wildlife experience that much better.
- A very good pair of binoculars – save up for a great pair if you don’t have one.
- Your cellphone will work but it is always great having a proper camera to take photos, especially of things that are far away.
- Video camera. There is nothing better than watching your own videos from your trip.
- Make sure you have extra batteries and memory cards, you never know when you may need them!
- Bird book for identifying birds
- Animal book for learning about what you see, identifying animals and looking at tracks to identify and track your own sightings.
- Checklists – We have a variety of free checklists in our shop (Birds, mammals, reptiles and trees). It is great to tick off what you have seen and where you have seen it.
More Important Things To Take With You On Your Kruger National Park Trip
There are a few items that cannot be overlooked when packing and planning to go to the Kruger.
- Rubbish/Trash packets
- Ash tray (If you smoke)
- Coffee flask
- Insect repellent
- Lots of water
- ID/Passport/Booking forms
- Books to read
- First aid kit – just in case
Also make sure your car has a spare tyre and you have a full tank of petrol, or enough to reach a destination that has a petrol station – you can see which camps and gates have petrol in our Kruger Park map.
Clothing To Take With You On Your Kruger Park Safari Visit
Clothing is important. Keep it casual and comfortable. During the day it is generally warm, even in the Winter months. Always keep a lightweight waterproof jacket with you, just in case.
Caps and hats should be packed to keep you from getting sunburnt. A good pair of hiking shoes can also come in handy, especially if you are doing any bush walks.
During the early mornings and evenings it can get quite chilly. If you are going on early morning or sunset/night drives you will definitely need a beanie, long warm pants, a long sleeve search and jacket to keep you warm. Gloves and a scarf can come in handy as well, especially in Winter.
Well there is the Stories Of The Kruger guide to preparing for a Kruger Park trip. We hope this helps and you enjoy your safari visit to the World’s greatest game reserve that makes up the Greater Kruger National Park.
Check Us Out On YouTube
Subscribe to our YouTube channel and watch all our videos, listen to bird calls, animal calls and more!